Here are some of the regular Q & A’s that we are asked:

How much does it cost to hire the village hall?

This will depend upon the type of event you are organising, please see our booking form for more details.

How do I book the village hall?

You can make a booking by looking on the bookings calendar and checking that the date is free and then use our online booking form to make your reservation or by telephoning our booking officer on 07843 137010 who can make the booking for you.

Are there any restrictions?

During the period of hire:

The hirer shall be responsible in full for the supervision of the premises, the fabric and contents of the hall, their protection from damage no matter how slight, or change of any sort, and the behaviour of all persons using the area hired.

The Hirer shall not:

1.     use the premises for any purpose other than that described in the hiring agreement;

2.    sub–hire the premises;

3.    use or allow the premises to be used for any unlawful purpose or in any unlawful way;

4.    do anything or bring on to the premises or surroundings anything that may damage or endanger the premises;

5.    contravene the requirements of any insurance policy relating to the premises or

6.    allow the consumption of alcoholic liquor therein without written agreement.


We want to make the hall a great place to hire and that involves keeping our neighbours happy, so we ask that any music is turned down by 11pm and no music is played after midnight. Please respect our neighbours and keep any noise level to a minimum both when using the hall or entering and leaving it.


Tilton on the Hill Village Hall by law operates a No Smoking Policy


Please let us know at the time of booking if you intend to use fireworks.

What happens with alcohol and running a bar at the hall?

There are three options:

1.     You can supply the alcohol and give it to your guests at no charge to them.

2.    You can ask guests to bring their own for their own consumption.

3.    You can apply for a Temporary Events Notice License and this will enable you to sell alcohol yourself or you can employ the services of a landlord who may apply on your behalf and run the bar for you.

The hirer shall be responsible for obtaining all necessary licences and Temporary Events Notices (needed for the sale of alcoholic liquor) including those required for regulated activities involving children or vulnerable adults. The hirer shall ensure compliance with such licenses, and the regulations made by the Fire Authority, Local Authority, Police, Local Magistrates Court, or any other statutory authority.

Can I put up a bouncy castle in the grounds or inside the hall?

Our insurance will not cover a bouncy castle, however, as long as the company you have booked with has public liability insurance you are then covered. We do not recommend you borrow one and use it as accidents can happen and you will not be covered on our insurance. Please make sure we know there is a bouncy castle at time of booking. It is your responsibility to ensure the safety of children using it at all times and it must never be left unsupervised.

If you are intending to place the bouncy castle in the village hall please note we do not have a high ceiling and your bouncy castle company will need to ensure that the bouncy castle is clear of our lighting and other roof obstacles.

If a bouncy castle is used for any event ( outside only!) an extra charge of £5 is charged to cover the use of electricity.

What insurance does the village hall have?

The Hall has the necessary public liability insurance.

If you are a commercial hirer you must provide your own public liability insurance. All hirers should effect all necessary insurance to cover their own liability in respect of their own, or third party equipment used or stored in the hall.

Are dogs and pets welcome in the village hall?

Generally, dogs are banned from the village hall except for those working dogs for the visually impaired or any other disability that requires their use.

I would like to hire the hall for a children’s party, is the hall suitable?

Yes –many hirers want to use the hall because it’s ideal for children. We have an Ofsted- inspected nursery school that operates from the hall and it has safe, enclosed grounds for children to run around in.

Can I bring my own electrical equipment?

Of course you can, but you must ensure that any electrical equipment provided by yourselves or a third party have been PAT tested.

What are your toilet facilities?

We have toilets for both ladies and gents and a disabled toilet.

Do you have stage lighting?

We have a small lighting rig for lighting the stage, please enquire at the time of booking for more details.

What about access to the hall for those with disabilities? 

We have a ramp to gain access to the hall, a hearing loop and a toilet for the disabled as well as chairs for those with bad backs.

What facilities do you have in the kitchen?

The kitchen has kettles, an urn, a stove with 2 fan-assisted ovens (instruction booklet provided) and a microwave. There is a good selection of plates, cups and saucers and cutlery.

There is a sink, drainage area and hot and cold water. There is a large serving hatch, over 9ft wide, into the main hall. A larder fridge and separate freezer is available in the small room next to the kitchen, and a fridge with a small top freezer in the bar room.

Can we cook in the kitchen?

Yes, so long as you wash up and leave the hall as you would expect to find it.

Where is the first aid kit?

In the kitchen

Is there a hearing loop?

Yes. Please request it when booking.

How many tables and chairs do you have?

8 tables that seat 8, 6 smaller tables and 10 card tables. 110 chairs.

How many people can fit in the hall?

We can fit around 100 people in the hall but this will depend upon the seating configuration or whether you are organising a disco then this number could rise, please ask at the time of booking for a more accurate number.

What if we break something?

If you break anything please let us know. A playgroup uses the hall five times a week and it is vital that the hall and grounds are always cleared of any possible dangers.

A deposit of £50.00 is required for each booking and this will be returned to you if the hall has been left in a good condition. We know accidents happen, so do please let us know if any breakages have occurred.

Can we add extra time to our booking on the day of the event?

This will all depend upon what is booked in after your event. If you think you may need extra time please enquire at the time of booking and we will do our best to accommodate your request.

Where do I pick up the keys?

Unless agreed otherwise, the caretaker will meet you at the hall to explain the use of the hall and equipment and hand over keys at the start of your hiring period. They will also explain where to return the keys.